Monday, September 20, 2010



What? September?! When did that happen?

Oh yes. When I was trying to squeeze every last ounce of summer joy with my beautiful boys as summer vacation drew to a close. It was happening as we bought school shoes, backpacks, and folders. It happened as I prepared Gabriel for what kindergarten would be like for him, and as we read "Twas the Night Before Kindergarten." It happened while the boys posed with their new lunchboxes for first day of school pictures. And while Gabriel clung to me, not quite ready for me to leave him in the classroom for the very first time. And while I sat in my car a few moments later, crying harder than I had in a very long time.

Time continued to fly as we adapted to the familiar routine of the school year: after school snacks, homework, and make-sure-the-kids-get-outside-to-play-time.

Gabriel is adjusting well to school. Little aspects of his personality are emerging, and it's fun to watch him have a social life. I am feeling good about the rest of the school year for him.

During a checkup, the doctor spotted the Spiderman sticker the nurse had given Julian and asked if he was really into superheroes. His pensive reply: "Nah, I'm more of a Toy Story kind of guy."

We've broken temperature records here- all last week was in the 90's. No sign of rain, but today actually felt like September. And with October on the horizon, that's a good sign.

I am slowly getting used to being by myself during the day (when I'm not at work), but it's still an odd feeling. Maybe once you become a mother, you always feel weirdly incomplete when your children are not around.

Batman and I stumbled upon an opportunity to enjoy a swing dance lesson while a local jazz band played near our house. Batman had been traumatized more than a decade earlier while taking dance lessons in preparation for his upcoming (first) wedding. Apparently, the instructor was really picky and somewhat harsh. I have never taken any kind of dance as an adult, but always wanted to. I was thrilled when Batman volunteered to give lessons another try. We had so much fun! It was so much more enjoyable for my hubby to have patient, friendly and laid-back people teaching him how to have fun in this creative, energetic way. I picked up on things better than I anticipated, and I think we may be hooked. I was stunned when my husband looked at me and said even though our schedules are a bit crazy and we have these three kiddos, he really wants to do this with me. He said, "What do we need to do to make this happen?". I just love when he gets excited about something, especially when it involves something fun we can do together. When you're a single parent trying to date, it's not the same as when you were single the first time around. There just aren't the same opportunities to go out, at least not as frequently, when you have little ones in your care, and various schedules to juggle. This is especially true if both dating partners have children. I am always reading how important it is for a couple, especially once they become parents, to have a social life together, to keep their dating life fresh and alive. I completely agree. Perhaps it is even more important for those who were parents first, and many of their dates were usually the "play" kind. So lots of fun for us to look forward to!

Not much in the way of pictures at the moment- my hubby is rearranging everything, and I can't access them right now. Will definitely catch up on those later.











No comments:

Post a Comment